Beloved by the young at heart, Popsicle® pops come in a variety of flavors, colors & textures.
The Popsicle® story
Invented by a kid, loved by all
The Popsicle® brand is an American Classic, with more than 30 creative variations of the original Popsicle® product. And believe it or not, it all started with an accident!
In 1905, 11-year-old Frank Epperson left a mixture of powdered soda, water, and a stirring stick in a cup on his porch. It was a cold night, and Epperson awoke the next morning to find a frozen pop. He called it the "Epsicle."
It was a hit with his friends at school, and later with his own kids. They constantly called for "Pop's 'sicle." So in 1923, Epperson changed the name and applied for a patent. A couple of years later, Epperson sold the rights to the brand name Popsicle® to the Joe Lowe Company in New York. The rest is history!
Did you know?
- Cherry is the No.1 Popsicle® ice pop flavor.
- Popsicle® ice pop sticks have riddles on them, but you can't find out the answer until you've eaten the whole pop!
- During World War II, the EIght Air Force Unit chose Popsicle® ice pops as a symbol of American life.
- Popsicle® Lick-A-Color® ice pops are made from the outside in.
- The very first "ice cream man" sold Popsicle® ice pops from a horse-drawn cart to children in Nebraska.
- Two billion Popsicle® ice pops are sold annually.
- The Twin Popsicle® ice pop was invented during The Great Depression, so two children could share an ice pop for just a nickel.