Unilever US announces new fragrance transparency initiative for its personal care brands
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, NJ (Feb. 7, 2017) – Unilever United States announced today a new transparency initiative to provide people with access to additional fragrance ingredient information for its personal care products. The initiative goes beyond labeling requirements to provide in-depth product and ingredient information and includes:
- Fragrance Ingredient Disclosure through SmartLabel™. This year, Unilever will begin to voluntarily expand its current product ingredient lists available through SmartLabel™ to include the fragrance ingredients in a product’s formulation above 0.01% (100 parts per million). Unilever aims to complete the SmartLabel™ updates by the end of 2018.
- What’s in our Products section on UnileverUSA.com. Unilever is launching a new webpage that provides additional product information, including its approach to developing safe products, explanations of ingredient types, answers to common questions, and access to SmartLabel™.
“We believe this initiative will help consumers know more about the products they use every day and build further trust for their favorite Unilever personal care brands,” said Tamara Rogers, EVP Personal Care, Unilever United States.
In addition, several of Unilever’s U.S. personal care products are voluntarily labeled to meet the European Union’s current fragrance allergen labeling regulation. Unilever will expand this to its full U.S. personal care portfolio.
Easy Access with SmartLabel™
All of Unilever’s U.S. food and mass market personal care products -- totaling 1,800 products -- currently participate in SmartLabel™. As a U.S. industry initiative, SmartLabel™ provides people with an easy and fast way to get more information about their favorite products—beyond what can be provided on pack.
“Transparency is fundamental to running a sustainable business,” said Kees Kruythoff, President, Unilever North America. “Through SmartLabel and What’s in our Products, we are meeting the needs of our consumers who are increasingly mobile, online, and actively searching for products that are made responsibly and sustainably.”
Find more information on SmartLabel™ and Unilever products here: www.unileverusa.com/brands/smartlabel/
Find more information on "What’s in our Products" here: www.unileverusa.com/brands/whats-in-our-products
About Unilever United States, Inc.
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home Care, Personal Care and Refreshment products with sales in more than 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day.
In the United States, the portfolio includes brand icons such as Axe, Ben & Jerry’s, Breyers, Caress, Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy, Country Crock, Degree, Dollar Shave Club, Dove, Good Humor, Hellmann’s, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!, Klondike, Knorr, Lever 2000, Lipton, Magnum, Nexxus, Noxzema, Pond’s, Popsicle, Promise, Q-tips, Seventh Generation, Simple, St. Ives, Suave, Talenti Gelato & Sorbetto, TIGI, TONI&GUY, TRESemmé and Vaseline.
All of the preceding brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Unilever Group of Companies.
Unilever employs approximately 8,000 people in the United States – generating more than $9 billion in sales in 2016.
The Unilever Sustainable Living Plan commits to:
- Helping more than a billion people take action to improve their health and well-being by 2020.
- Halving the environmental impact of our products by 2030.
- Enhancing the livelihoods of millions of people by 2020.
Unilever ranked number one in its sector on the 2016 Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
For more information on Unilever U.S. and its brands visit: www.unileverusa.com
To connect with Unilever U.S. via Facebook visit: www.facebook.com/unileverusa
To connect with Unilever U.S. via Twitter follow: @unileverusa
Unilever Media Relations