Unilever's response to Superstorm Sandy
November 8, 2012 - Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have suffered tremendous loss in the wake of the powerful storm that severely devastated areas of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut in late October. To help ease some of the losses so many people have suffered, Unilever’s taken several steps to give back to our communities.
What Unilever and Its Employees Are Doing
- On Nov. 1st, Unilever donated $100,000 to the American Red Cross, which has taken the lead in the disaster relief efforts. The company has activated a 1:1 match for its employees through Dec. 31st.
- Unilever will also provide $500,000 worth of food and personal care products to Feeding America, the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. These products will be distributed to food banks in areas that were impacted by the storm.
- During the week of Nov. 5th, our Englewood Cliffs, NJ, employees delivered 60 cases of personal care products to a local shelter at Hoboken High School to provide immediate assistance to a hard-hit area in Northern New Jersey and an additional 15 cases to the Covenant House in Clifton, NJ. Our Trumbull, CT employees are also making a product donation delivery to a Boys & Girls Club in a hard-hit area in Milford, CT.
- The Hellmann’s team is making and delivering 2,500 sandwiches to New Yorkers in need this Friday, Nov. 9th.
- Through our partnership with PepsiCo, Lipton® Ready to Drink Iced Tea was donated to impacted communities in New York.
- 1,500 AXE® kits that included water, AXE deodorant, toothbrush/toothpaste and gum will be donated to hard-hit areas in Staten Island.
- On Tuesday, Nov. 27th, Unilever will kick-off its first company-wide food drive to benefit Feeding America.
- Unilever encourages anyone who wants to contribute to the relief efforts or to find out more visit the American Red Cross web site or visit Unilever’s partner organizations: Feeding America or Boys & Girls Clubs of America.