Dove encourages women to pass their positive beauty legacy down to the next generation
Dove celebrates its 5th annual Dove Self-Esteem Weekend at the United Nations
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, NJ (September 30, 2014) – More than ten years ago Dove started a groundbreaking conversation about real beauty in an effort to create a world where beauty is a source of confidence, not anxiety. The global beauty brand believes that everyone can make a positive impact on a girl’s self-esteem; in fact, Dove research has shown that when girls have a positive role model, they are less likely to let anxieties about their looks hold them back.1
Launching today, the new Dove: Legacy campaign will encourage women to express their beauty with confidence, since female role models play such an important part in how girls perceive their own beauty. Legacy, a short film, spotlights how women can pass down positive feelings of beauty to a girl in their life, just in time for the 5th Annual Dove Self-Esteem Weekend taking place at the United Nations.
The Legacy film reveals the opportunity all women have to make their beauty legacy a positive one for the next generation. The film explores how important it is for women to see the beauty in themselves, and the impact they have on the way the next generation views their own beauty.
This is powerfully illustrated by mothers and daughters who each wrote two lists: what they like and do not like about the way they look. The film draws on a range of experiences and unique stories from several mothers as they share their lists. Ultimately, it is revealed that the daughters’ lists are remarkably similar to their mothers’, emphasizing how connected girls are to their role models and how feelings of beauty can be passed on to the next generation.
“Whether a mother, aunt, coach, teacher, or sister, all women can set a positive example for the next generation by expressing their own beauty with confidence,” said Jennifer Bremner, Director of Marketing, Dove. “Dove has long been dedicated to fostering positive self-esteem in women and girls, and we invite all women to join us in making a difference to the next generation by ensuring their own beauty legacy is a positive one.”
Celebrating our beauty legacies at the 5th annual Dove Self-Esteem Weekend
Dove will celebrate our beauty legacies at the kick-off to the 5th Annual Dove Self-Esteem Weekend (October 10-12) at the United Nations on October 9. The brand will ignite an inspiring conversation on beauty legacy and self-esteem with Jess Weiner, Dove Global Self-Esteem Ambassador, Ruby Karp, an influential voice on girls’ issues and social media, and Gabi Gregg, body image role model and blogger behind the site Gabi Fresh. Jess Weiner will also lead an empowering self-esteem workshop for girls from Dove partner organizations including Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Girls Inc., and Girl Scouts of the USA.
Everyone can get involved
Dove believes all women have a role to play in setting a positive example for the next generation by expressing their own beauty with confidence. Women who want to join the Dove Self-Esteem Project and participate in the 5th Annual Dove Self-Esteem Weekend can do so in several ways:
- Watch Legacy at www.dove.com/Legacy and tell the world who you #FeelBeautifulFor on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Visit www.Dove.com/Legacy or www.Facebook.com/Dove for more information on the 5th Annual Dove Self-Esteem Weekend, to access free self-esteem tools and resources specifically created for moms, mentors and teachers to motivate and inspire young girls, to locate events at local retailers, and more
- Add 'Dove' on Snapchat to take part in a full week of exercises aiming to explore self-esteem and build confidence
- Jess Weiner and Dove Self-Esteem Educators will be available on Snapchat from Monday, October 6 through Wednesday, October 8 to answer self-esteem questions one-on-one in a safe forum
Retailers and partners support the 5th annual Dove Self-Esteem Weekend
Retailers and non-profit organizations across the country have teamed with the brand in support of the 5th Annual Dove Self-Esteem Weekend. As always, the purchase of all Dove products supports self-esteem programming with our national non-profit partner organizations, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Girls Inc., and Girl Scouts of the USA.
- Nationwide, our national non-profit partner orgs, Boys & Girls Clubs of America and Girls Inc. will host Self-Esteem Workshops to help girls develop positive relationships with beauty
- Unilever employees around the globe will come together on Dove Day to facilitate Self-Esteem Workshops in dozens of cities, reaching thousands of girls and boys
- Dove will partner with the Girl Up International Day of the Girl event on October 11 to empower girls to reach their full potential
- More than 3,000 Walmart stores will support Dove Self-Esteem Weekend with in-store signage promoting self-esteem as well as conducting a self-esteem workshop at their headquarters for local organizations
- Kroger will provide free self-esteem resources for moms and mentors in over 1,500 stores nationwide, as well as host two self-esteem workshops for the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Cincinnati
- Ahold, Meijer, and Safeway hosted self-esteem workshop events at their respective headquarters in support of the Weekend with members of their local Boys & Girls Club and Girls Inc. chapters
- Wakefern expands its support of Dove Self-Esteem Weekend by offering girls in the community a chance to win money for an academic scholarship
The Dove Self-Esteem Project has reached over 14 million young lives with self-esteem building programs and is committed to reaching 15 million by the end of 2015. Dove Self-Esteem Project delivers self-esteem education to young people (primarily girls) 7-17 years-old through lessons in schools, activities for mentors, online resources for parents and partnerships with youth organizations like Girl Scouts of the USA, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, and Girls Inc.
Dove, manufactured by Unilever, is the No. 1 personal wash brand nationwide. One in every three households uses a Dove product1, which includes beauty bars, body washes, face care, anti-perspirant/deodorants, body mists, hair care and styling aids. Dove Men+Care™ is the newest range of products from Dove, developed specially for men. Dove is available nationwide in food, drug and mass outlet stores.
Ph: 212 704 4477